All about Diabetes
Risk factors - Diabetes risk factors include the following:
- Overweight (body mass index ≥25 kg/m2).
- Family history diabetes mellitus in a first-degree relative.
- Habitual physical inactivity.
- Belonging to a high-risk ethnic or racial group (eg, African-American, Hispanic, Native American, Asian-American, and Pacific Islanders).
- History of delivering a baby weighing >4.1 kg (9 lb) or of gestational diabetes mellitus.
- Hypertension (blood pressure ≥140/90 mmHg).
- Dyslipidemia defined as a serum high-density lipoprotein cholesterol concentration ≤35 mg/dL and/or a serum triglyceride concentration ≥250 mg/dL Previously identified HA1C ≥5.7 percent, impaired glucose tolerance or impaired fasting glucose.
- Polycystic ovary syndrome.
- History of vascular disease.